Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 brisket (5 ½ pounds or so)
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Onion, peeled and stuck with 3 cloves
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs. black pepper
- 2 Celery stocks
- 1 Small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
- Carrots – enough for dinner
- Potatoes – enough for dinner
Rinse the brisket. In a good big pot, 8-to 10-quart size, cover brisket with water and bring to a vigorous boil for 15 min., reduce heat to gentle simmer and skim off the scum with a wire skimmer or large spoon. The scum part is normal when boiling meat.
Add bay leaves, onion, garlic, pepper, and celery. Simmer at a faint, gentle ebullition at 250 degrees for about 4 hours.
Add the potatoes, carrots and cabbage during the last 45 minutes of cooking or until all vegetables are tender.